Ready for the future
After a long period of designing, pile driving, demolition, construction, and furnishing, the big move to the new buildings finally took place on May 18. Patients and staff from the Daniel den Hoed location were taken from south to north in vans and ambulances. Patients from the old Dijkzigt location and the Thorax Center were taken directly from the old building to their new department in beds and wheelchairs. We are proud of everyone who made this possible! Our New Erasmus MC has been completed, and the official grand opening by His Majesty the King took place on 6 September 2018.
Ours is truly the university medical center of the 21st century. Sustainable and innovative solutions have been developed for patients, nurses, and physicians. The single rooms offer patients a high degree of autonomy and privacy. Moreover, a new Electronic Patient Record (EPR) has been introduced. We are now prepared as never before to provide excellent healthcare to patients from an aging population with multiple, complex conditions.
Some facts and figures about the new buildings
|Total square meters||207,000 m²|
|Single patient rooms||525|
|Day-patient treatment places||94|
- Research among Team AkzoNobel sailors during the Volvo Ocean Race on the effect of their day and night rhythm.
- The opening of HollandPTC, an outpatient center for proton therapy in Delft, founded by Erasmus MC, LUMC, and Delft University of Technology.
- In July, Prof. Marion Koopmans received the NWO Stevin Prize for her research on the transmission of viruses from animals to humans (zoonoses), and on large-scale spread between humans (outbreaks and pandemics).
- The national Trauma Day on Saturday 15 September 2018 attracted 19,000 enthusiastic visitors.
- A center was established for children with congenital heart defects. The center works closely with Radboudumc in Nijmegen.
- The Thorax Center celebrated its 50th anniversary.
- The number of lung transplants doubled to 34 thanks to the Ex Vivo Lung Perfusion (EVLP) program. Preparations were made for the Ex Vivo Heart Perfusion (EVHP) program.
- Erasmus MC received an AAA credit rating in January 2018. This is the highest possible rating, indicating that Erasmus MC has excellent creditworthiness.
|Number of admissions||31,923|
|Number of nursing days||203,855
|Average admission duration (in days)||6.4|
|Number outpatient clinic appointments||512,717
|Number of students
|Number of employees
|Number of volunteers
Key financial figures
|2018 in € million||versus 2017 in € million|
|Erasmus MC - Patient Care||1,459.9||+ 22.2|
|Erasmus MC - Research and Education||268.6||+ 8.5|
|Total operating income||1,728.5||+ 30.7|
Technology is becoming an increasingly important part of all our core tasks. It is imperative that we make use of smart technology to ensure that healthcare remains affordable. We are endeavoring to become the first technical UMC in the Netherlands in various ways, including through our intensive cooperation with Delft University of Technology.