Assistant Professor at the department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious diseases at the Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam. My expertise lies in molecular biology with a specific focus on CRISPR-Cas and the role of this system in host-microbe interactions and disease development.
Besides fundamental research based projects I have a strong interest in the translation of basic research findings to benefit the global health of the human population. Under my supervision over 25 students successfully finalized their bachelor or master degree with internships in my group. Some of these students have won awards, i.e. for best thesis or oral presentation.
Currently I am supervising two PhD students. My publication list comprises papers that are mainly published in high impact peer-reviewed international journals, such as Science Advances, Chemical Science, PNAS and MMBR.
Field(s) of expertise
- Host-Microbe Interactomics
Education and career
- From 2000 to 2004 I worked as a Research technician in the group of Dr. Bob Scholte.
- From 2004 to 2006 I worked as a Research technician in the group of Prof. Alex van Belkum and Prof. Hubert Endtz.
- From 2006 to 2011 I was trained to become a Doctor of Philosophy.
- In 2012 I defended my thesis “New Features of Sialylated Lipo-oligosaccharide Structures in Campylobacter jejuni” supervised by Prof. Alex van Belkum and Prof. Edward E.S. Nieuwenhuis at the department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious diseases at the Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam.
- From there on I specialised myself as an assistant professor into the field of CRISPR-Cas and am successfully building a research group on this subject.
- Lecturer of master students that joined the Erasmus MC research master Infection and Immunity
- Supervision of second year health students (practical courses in Basic Microbiology Techniques)
- Supervision of Bachelor, Master and PhD students
- City council member in the municipality Oosterhout from 2006 – 2010
- Treasurer 2008 - 2013
- Founder of Excoris ( https://www.lifesciencesatwork.nl/profile/excoris/)
- Collector MS fund
- Scientific advisor MECVS patient organizations
Scholarships, grants, and awards
- CRISPR-Cas9 from molecular scissor to a surgical knife LSHM18006-H006 awardee of €145.912,- in 2018
- Co-Applicant ARTS program Enteric fever, antimicrobial resistance and bacterial virulence 2016
- Co-Applicant STAMINA consortium H2020 grant of 11 million euro 2020 ( https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/883441)
- Private investment of 50.000,- to study the effects of milk on Campylobacter jejuni 2013 - 2018
- Yakult Poster price NVMM Papendal 2006
- Campylobacter Research Award CHRO2009
- Campylobacter travel grant CHRO2009
- Supervisor of MSc Dior Beerens who won a "zilveren vlam" price 2015
- Supervisor of PhD student MSc. Chinmoy Saha who won an encouraging oral award on the Erasmus MC Molmed day 2016