My focus is on the development of innovative optical coherence imaging technologies for diagnosis in coronary artery, lung and esophagus. I create ideas to meet medical needs, evaluate the ideas on benchtop concepts, engineer the concepts into prototypes (instrument and equipment), and finally translate the prototypes to clinical practice and biological studies.
So far, I have been developing five new topics:
- "Heartbeat Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) " - superfast intravascular optical imaging system for PCI guidance.
- "Thermo-elastic Optical Coherence Microscopy" - fast structural and chemical microscopic imaging for tissue type identification.
- "Megahertz Doppler OCT " - simultaneous physiology and morphology imaging for coronary artery stenosis assessment.
- "Endoscopic Optical Coherence Elastography" - simultaneous stiffness and morphological imaging of lumen organs such as coronary artery and bronchus.
- " motorized capsule" - offering shadow-free images for the diagnoses of esophagus diseases.
Field(s) of expertise
Optical coherence imaging, Medical devices R&D, Endoscopy, Microscopy, Handheld probe, Micro engine
Education and career
Dr. Wang acquired his BSc and MSc degree in Physics from Tsinghua University, Beijing. MSc thesis: Developing a handheld OCT system for diagnostic imaging of port wine stain. This work has been patented and commercialized.
- 2010- 2015, PhD research in Biomedical Engineering group, Thoraxcenter, Cardiology, Erasmus MC, with thesis titled "Heartbeat Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)". This work has been patented and licensed to Terumo Medical Corporation.
- 2015-2017, Dr. Wang developed an imaging modality called thermo-elastic OCT during his postdoc period in Erasmus MC. This idea was awarded a Veni-2017 grant.
- 2017- present, after spending half year as a project engineer in the R&D of ophthalmic medical device, Dr. Wang returned to Biomedical Engineering group, Thoraxcenter, Erasmus MC as a stuff member. In 2019, he was appointed Assistant Professor in Biomedical Engineering.
- Highlights of latest research (since 2017):
- Megahertz intravascular Doppler OCT that visualizes the flow pattern and structure of entire coronary artery (at the same time and for the first time).
- First endoscopic Optical Coherence Elastography imaging, showing both structure and stiffness of artery and bronchus (patent application).
- Shadow-free capsule for esophagus imaging (selected as "spot of light" by The Optical Society - OSA).
- T. Wang, A. F. W. van der Steen and G. van Soest. “Optical coherence elastography imaging”. GB patent application. PN application number: gb ERAEU/P67962GB. Priority date: February 01, 2019.
- T. Wang, C. Lancee, A. F. W. van der Steen and G. van Soest. “An intravascular optical imaging system”. EP, WO and US patent. PN number: EP2975999 A1. Priority date: March 19, 2013. Licensed to Terumo Medical Corporation. GB Granted (2013-05-01), US, JP and EP in pending.
- P. Xue, T. Wang and Q. Miao. “A new rapid scanning optical delay line of OCT”. Chinese National Patent, PN. number: 101706597A. Priority date: May 12, 2010. Licensed to Newraysing laser Tech. China Granted (2010-05-12).
- NOS Journaal (national TV), “Superfast catheter camera can improve care of cardio-patients”
- Voice of America, “Tiny camera sees inside blood vessels”
- NL Times, “High-speed camera will improve arteriosclerosis procedure”
- Rijksmuseum 2016, “Document Nederland” MEDICAL DELTA, “Useful tools”
- 2014, "Characterization of a superfast micro motor ". B.A.Sc. internship, 9/10,
Mariek Bakker, The Haag University of Applied Science
- 2019, "Flow measurement using speckle decorrelation method" MSc. internship, pass,
Oualid Zoumhani, Delft University of Technology
- 2016, "Laser induced tissue deformation detection using Heartbeat OCT". B.A.Sc. thesis - 8.5/10, Gaetano Amenta, The Haag University of Applied Science
- 2019, "A smart motorized capsule for shadow-free esophageal imaging". MSc. thesis - 10/10,
Antonio López Marín, Delft University of Technology, Universitat de Barcelona
- 2019, "Development of an OCT system in the 1200 nm spectral range". MSc. thesis - 1.3/1.0 Excellent
Fabian Krabbe, Universität zu Lübeck
- 2020, "Development of an artificial breathing lung model". B.A.Sc. thesis - ongoing
Frank van Herk, InHolland University of Applied Science
- 2019, "Thermo-elastic Optical Coherence Tomography". PhD. thesis - ongoing
Aaron Doug Deen, Erasmus MC
- 2019, "Rapid Innovation of Minimally Invasive Instruments" PhD. thesis - ongoing
Antonio López Marín, Erasmus MC
- Lecture: Minors/Medicine for Technical Students/cardiology/- GENMIN99
Certified in "Laser safety" and "Risk Management Medical Device".
- Member of the International Society for Optics and Photonics
- Member of The Optical Society
- Member of Heart Team association
- Faculty of Optics in Cariology conference
- Committee member of Photonics West conference
Reviewer for journals:
- Biomedical Optics Express,
- OSA Continuum, Applied Optics,
- Journal of Biomedical Optics,
- Transactions on Biomedical Engineering,
- Sensors & Actuators: A. Physical,
- Applied Sciences,
- Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics,
- Journal of Biophotonics,
- International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery.
Reviewer for conference:
- Optical Elastography and Tissue Biomechanics VII - Photonics West, SPIE
Scholarships, grants, and awards
- Talent and Training China-Netherlands (T&T), 2010
- First CBORT workshop from Wellman Center, Harvard Medical School, 2012
- Conference grant from Verening Trustfonds, 2012 and 2014
- Erasmus MC Academic Career Development Program, 2019
- Veni 2017, Innovational Research Incentives Scheme, New imaging technique sees the heart attack before it happens - Principal investigator
- Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research, Heartbeat OCT - Main researcher
- Best oral paper reward in European Conference on Biomedical Optics 2015
- Headlines of OCTnews, 2013, 2016 and 2017.