As a stroke neurologist, I am confronted with the devastating consequences of stroke on the lives of patients and their families every day. It is my ambition to improve the treatment of stroke to ultimately advance the quality of life of stroke patients.
Current research interests:
- The development and evaluation of new stroke therapies and strategies to prevent stroke, mainly with randomized trials. I have a specific focus on acute treatment of ischemic stroke.
- The translation of results of randomized trials and observational studies into clinical decision-making for individual patients, for example by developing decision support tools.
Fields of expertise
Education and career
I am a neurologist with a specific expertise in stroke. I combine care for patients with cerebrovascular diseases with clinical research in the field of stroke.
I obtained my medical degree cum laude from Erasmus University Rotterdam in the Netherlands in 2009. I received training in clinical epidemiology and medical decision making at the Department of Public Health of Erasmus MC. In 2012, I received my PhD degree from both the Erasmus University Rotterdam in the Netherlands and the University of Antwerp in Belgium (“joint European doctorate”). In 2017, I finished my neurology residency with speciality training in stroke medicine at Erasmus MC Stroke Center.
I am thesis supervisor ('co-promotor') of six PhD students.
I was thesis supervisor of six master students (Medicine, Clinical Epidemiology). I teach junior researchers on clinical epidemiological topics.
I am member of the editorial board for the development of the neurology course for the new Masters of Science program in Medicine of Erasmus MC. As a clinical neurologist, I am involved in the clinical training and daily supervision of (pre-)medical students, interns and residents in neurology in Erasmus MC.
Furthermore I am teacher in vascular neurology at various courses for neurologists, internists and emergency medicine physicians in the Netherlands.
- Member of national multidisciplinary guideline committee: “Management of unruptured intracranial aneurysms” on behalf of the Dutch Society of Neurologists (2018 – present).
- Consortium member of Dutch Acute Stroke Audit (DASA) of the Dutch Institute of Clinical Auditing (DICA) (2018 – present).
- Member of the Stroke Expert Committee of the Value-based Health Care Program of the Dutch Federation of University medical centers (NFU) (2018 – present).
- Member of the Neurovascular Working Group of the Dutch Society of Neurologists (2017 – present).
- Member of Dutch Society of Neurologists (2012 – present).
- Member of the European Stroke Organization (ESO) (2016 – present).
I was awarded the "Gerrit Jan Mulder Prize" for the best master thesis (2009).
In 2019, the medical students of Erasmus MC nominated me for the "Best Teacher of the Master of Medicine Award".