The most important rights are explained on these pages:
You are also expected to fulfil certain responsibilities in order to ensure that you receive the best possible treatment:
- Give your healthcare-providers information that is as clear and complete as possible, so that they can make the right diagnosis and provide expert treatment.
- Follow your healthcare-provider’s advice on medication, diet, etc. as closely as possible.
- Show respect and understanding for your physician(s) and your fellow-patients.
- Give us the correct details about your health insurance policy and pay your invoices on time. You are at all times liable for the cost of your hospital treatment. This also applies if you are insured; you remain personally liable for the cost of your treatment.
- Carry an ID document on you at all times on the hospital premises.
- You will be given an identification wristband when you are admitted to hospital. This is a plastic wristband showing your name, date of birth and the department to which you have been admitted. You must wear this wristband at all times for identification purposes, both on and off your ward.
- Although you are free to record meetings with your healthcare-providers, we do ask you to inform them in advance if you are planning to do so. You may not distribute sound recordings without their permission.
- Reporting and investigating catastrophic incidents.
- Performance indicators.
- Code for reporting domestic violence and child abuse.
We consider a pleasant and safe environment for you and our staff very important in our hospital, so there are a number of house rules that everyone at Erasmus MC must adhere to.
- Always be respectful of others.
- It is forbidden to cause a nuisance, use physical violence, verbal intimidation or threatening behaviour, cause sexual harassment, practice discrimination or to engage in any other form of unacceptable conduct.
- Weapons and dangerous objects are prohibited and will be confiscated.
- Smoking and the use of alcohol and drugs are prohibited. Staff will ask you to desist if you found to be smoking or using alcohol or drugs.
- Respect other people’s personal property. Theft and vandalism will be prosecuted.
- Photography, filming, and audio recording are prohibited. This includes posting photos, films or audio recordings on social media. You must respect the privacy of patients, visitors and staff at all times.