Rights and responsibilities
We want to give you or your child the best possible treatment, which is why our care providers and our patients all have certain rights and responsibilities.
The most important rights are explained on these pages:
You also have certain responsibilities to ensure optimal treatment, namely:
- Provide the healthcare professionals with as clear and complete information as possible so that they can make a correct diagnosis and provide expert treatment.
- Follow the advice of your care provider to the best of your ability with regard to the use of medication, dietary requirements, etc.
- Show respect and understanding for your practitioner(s) and fellow patients.
- Provide the hospital with correct information on your health insurance and ensure that you pay your bills on time. You are always responsible for paying the costs of your hospital treatment. This also applies if you are insured; you will always be personally accountable for the costs of treatment.
- Have an ID card in your possession at all times within the hospital.
- You must take your patient card to outpatient appointments so that it is clear who you are and who your practitioner is.
- Wear the identification wristband that you receive on admission. This is a plastic wristband showing your name, date of birth, and specialism. You must wear this wristband at all times for identification, both on and off your ward.
- You may record the talk with your care provider, but we do ask you to inform your care provider beforehand. You may not make sound recordings public without the permission of the care provider.
- Reporting and investigating emergencies.
- Performance indicators.
- Reporting code for domestic violence and child or other abuse.
We consider a pleasant and safe environment for you and our staff very important in our hospital, so there are a number of house rules that everyone at Erasmus MC must adhere to.
- Always be respectful of others at Erasmus MC.
- Causing a nuisance, physical violence, verbal intimidation, threatening behavior, sexual harassment, discrimination, or any other form of unacceptable conduct is prohibited.
- Weapons and dangerous objects are prohibited and will be confiscated.
- Smoking, alcohol, and drugs are prohibited. Staff will ask you to desist. Respect others’ personal property.
- Theft and vandalism will be prosecuted.
- Photography, filming, and audio recording are prohibited. This includes posting photos, films, or audio recordings on social media. You must always respect the privacy of patients, visitors, and staff members.