General visiting hours
Visiting hours at the Erasmus MC
The visiting hours on the wards are from 11 am to 8 pm. You may receive visitors during these times as long as you are not undergoing an examination or treatment. Patients can receive a maximum of 2 visitors at the same time.
Parents / Caregivers
Parents or caregivers can visit at any time.
Visiting hours at the Erasmus MC Sophia Children’s Hospital
The visiting hours at the Erasmus MC Sophia Children’s Hospital are from 2 pm to 8 pm. Patients rest from 12 noon to 2 pm, and visitors are not allowed during this period. Parents and guardians are free to visit at any time of the day or night. Different visiting hours also apply at the Obstetrics department.
Parents and guardians
Parents and guardians are welcome at any time of the day or night.
Guidelines for visitors to the Erasmus MC Sophia Children’s Hospital
The following guidelines apply:
- No more than two visitors are allowed to visit a child at one time. Visitors may take turns if they wish.
- You must obtain the permission of the patient’s parent or guardian if you wish to visit the patient at a time when no parent or guardian is present.
- Apart from brothers and sisters, children aged under 6 years old are not allowed to visit patients. Exceptions may be made to this rule in consultation with the nurse on the ward. Other rules apply in the case of children who wish to visit patients in intensive care or high-care units. You should always get in touch with the child’s parents or guardians before visiting.
Do not visit a patient if you are ill or have been exposed to an infectious disease.
Unit-specific visiting hours
Visiting acute short-stay patients
Many patients admitted to the acute short-stay ward need time to recover from what has been an unsettling experience. That is why we insist on limiting the number of visitors to no more than two people at a time. You should always ask the nurse what he or she thinks is best for the patient. If you are a family member or close friend of a patient and wish to remain at the patient’s side, you will both need to move somewhere else. This is in order to protect the privacy of the other patients on the ward, and to avoid disturbing nurses, physicians and patients. The Erasmus MC has various facilities to accommodate this. If you would like to leave us your telephone number, we will be glad to call you if there are any new developments. You can also contact the acute short-stay unit by calling the telephone number of the acute short-stay ward is +31 10 704 01 45.
Birth partners are welcome to visit at any time. It is also possible for birth partners to stay the night. Please always make sure inform the staff about this decision first. Children are welcome to come along to the visit but must be under constant adult supervision.
Other visitors are welcome from 11 am to 9 pm. Patients rest between 12 am and 2 pm. Please respect the peace and quiet of all patients during these hours.
No more than two visitors are allowed at a time. Visitors may take turns and wait in the designated waiting areas.
Please also wait in the designated waiting areas if the patient you are visiting is being treated or receiving nursing care.
The visiting hours at the Pulmonary Medicine Department are from 11 am to 9 pm. Patients rest from 1 to 2 pm. During these hours visitors are not allowed on the ward. Visitors may wait in designated waiting areas such as the roof garden or restaurants in the Erasmus MC. You may receive no more than two visitors at a time.
Post-Anaesthesia Care Unit (PACU)
The Post-Anaesthesia Care Unit (PACU) is a special high-care unit that forms part of the Anaesthesiology Department. Patients go to the PACU if they have a temporary need for intensive care after an operation. The visiting hours at the PACU are from 4 to 6 pm.
The visiting hours at the Psychiatry Department are:
- Monday to Friday: 3 pm - 4:30 pm & 6.30 pm - 8 pm.
- Saturday and Sunday: 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm & 6:30 pm - 8 pm.
Visiting hours for the infants’ room are every day from 4 to 4:30 pm and from 7:30 to 8 pm.
Visiting hours may be adjusted for patients’ partners.
Intensive Care Adults
- Visiting hours on Unit A B C and D on the 4th floor (Nd-4): 11:00 - 14:00 and 16:00 - 20:00.
- Visiting hours on the ICU Thoracic Surgery and Cardiac Monitoring 6th floor (Ng-6): 14:00 - 15:00 and 19:00 - 20:00.
Flowers can make a nice gift for patients but are not permitted on every ward. This is to prevent infections. When in doubt, please first check whether flowers are allowed.
Bringing a plant is not allowed in the Erasmus MC. The potting soil of plants can pose a potential risk of infection to susceptible patient,