My research is focused on the development of radiation techniques to improve quality of life, by decreasing side effects of radiation therapy for urological malignancies, in particular prostate cancer. An example in clinical setting is the hypofractionation for prostate cancer and in the lab the effect of radiosensitization of several drugs in a rat model of prostate cancer. Quality of life of cancer patients plays an important role in the clinical research projects.
The on-going PhD programs are focused on new techniques such as hypofractionation for prostate cancer, bladder-sparing chemo-radiotherapy, use of radiosensitizers during radiotherapy for prostate cancer, personalized radiotherapy, and quality of life of patients irradiated for prostate cancer.
Field(s) of expertise
Genito-urinary cancers Hypofractionation for prostate cancer
Radiosensitization for prostate cancer Quality of Life Sexual functioning.
Education and career
- Medical training, Pisa, 1992
- Training in Radiation Oncology, Rotterdam, 2000
- Certification in Sexology, Utrecht, 2002 PhD,
- Sexual functioning of male patients in radiotherapy and urology, Rotterdam, 2001
- Professor of Genito-Urinary Radiotherapy, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Honorary Full Professor, Jimma, Ethiopia
- (Co)Supervisor of more than 10 PhD students
- Deputy Head, Department of Radiation Oncology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam
- Advisory Board, Anser Clinic Prostate Cancer Consortium
- Advisory Board, Academic Center Urogenital Tumors, Erasmus MC
- Advisory Board, Dutch alliance of testicular cancer patients