Hannie Aartsen trained as a lawyer and pediatric nurse. She began her career with the Department of Health as a civil servant, a young lawyer with the medical ethics branch. After a few years, she became a Secretary of the Health Council of the Netherlands in the field of medical ethics. She then studied to become a pediatric nurse and worked at the Franciscus Hospital in Rotterdam for several years. For the past 15 years, Hannie has been Assistant Professor in Medical Ethics and also had the role of Coordinator in medical ethics education at the Medical Ethics, Philosophy and History of Medicine Department of the Erasmus MC.
Hannie Aartsen teaches medical ethics and health law at an undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate level at the Erasmus MC and elsewhere. In 2019, Hannie received the Award for Best Teacher of the Year from the Medical Faculty of the Erasmus University. Aside from her teaching activities, Hannie temporarily was the coordinator of the Bachelor programme of the Medical Faculty in 2016. She was also the Chairman of the Education Committee of the Medical Faculty from 2018 until 2021.
Furthermore, she functions as independent chair at moral deliberations at several departments of the Erasmus MC. Hannie’s main passions are moral problems regarding minors, clinical ethics, moral deliberation, end-of-life questions, technological innovation, medical education and nursing ethics.
Field(s) of expertise
- Education in medical ethics and health law and policy
- Ethical issues around incompetence and healthcare for elderly
Education and career
- Study Law, health law
- Pediatric nurse
- Assistant Professor and Coordinator of the medical ethics education for graduate students and GPs in training
- Assistant Professor and Coordinator of the minor programme in medical ethics
- Examinator and Mentor for graduate students in the field of medical ethics
- Examinator for BKO Qualification (University Teaching Qualification)
- Member of Working Group for Moral Deliberations at the Erasmus MC
- Member of the committee regarding end-of-life / euthanasia at the Erasmus MC
- Member of the Committee for BKO Qualification which safeguards the excellence of its qualification