I am pediatrician-neonatologist and clinical pharmacologist, appointed as Professor at KU Leuven, Belgium and as senior clinical consultant at Erasmus MC Rotterdam, the Netherlands. In my clinical research activities, my focus is mainly on perinatal and developmental pharmacology. This includes active involvement in clinical studies, as well as educational and consultancies to different stakeholders, like authorities and industry.
Field(s) of expertise
- Perinatal pharmacology;
- Neonatal pharmacology;
- Pediatric pharmacology;
- Perinatal clinical research.
Education and career
KU Leuven: MD, Pediatrics and Neonatology and PhD (2005).
Eramus MC: additional clinical training PICU/NICU, Clinical pharmacology, certified trainer.Council activities on ESPR, EDSPPP and IUPHAR.
- Involved in various Bachelor and Master training programs on neonatology, clinical pharmacology, and scientific training.
- (Co)promotor of 12 finalised PhD thesis projects.
- Member, human medicines commission, Federal Agency for Medicines and Health Products.
- Regular member, Royal Academy of Medicine, Belgium.
Scholarships, grants, and awards
- Heymans award clinical pharmacology (Belgium, 2005);
- M Govaerts price toxicology (Belgium 2008);
- Galenus price laureate (Belgium, 2009).
- FWO (Clinical doctoral grant, Senior Clinical Investigatorship, iPREDICT);
- ZonMW (Pentoxifylline, doxapram);
- IMI Conception (W co-lead), IMIc4c (advice);
- IWT-SBO (Safepedrug, co-lead);
- KU Leuven funding (C2-C3 projects);
- H2020 ALBINO study (WP lead).