My clinical research is based on high precision radiotherapy applied to the treatment of liver and brain tumors. National and international cooperation play a central role in the development of my research projects.
Field(s) of expertise
High precision radiotherapy (stereotactic radiotherapy and proton therapy) for liver and for brain tumors.
Education and career
- Medical training: University of Santiago de Compostela (Spain)
- Radiation Oncology training: Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau. Barcelona (Spain)
- PhD on liver stereotactic radiotherapy (Erasmus MC)
For publications follow this link.
- Cyberknife school
- Minor Oncology Erasmus MC
- Trainees in Medical Physics and Radiation Oncology (national and Erasmus MC)
Collaborations on liver stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT)
- ESTRO-EORTC Classification of oligometastatic disease
- ASTRO–ESTRO Consensus definition oligometastatic disease
- AAPM New Quantitative Analyses of Normal Tissue Effects in the Clinic (QUANTEC) for high precision radiotherapy
Collaborations Brain (proton therapy)
- EORTC IDH mutated 1p/19q intact lower grade glioma following resection: Wait Or Treat? (PI. Prof M. van den Bent). The IWOT study. Writing committee and QA group for proton therapy
- Global Harmonization Group QA (Proton subcommittee)
- EPTN and PROTRAIT: Central nervous system registration
Liver research: Based on stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT)
- Dutch-Belgian registration of liver metastases treated with SBRT (PI)
- Transarterial chemoembolization versus SBRT for hepatocellular carcinoma. A randomized trial. The TRENDY study( PI)-KWF data management grant
- SBRT following chemotherapy for unresectable perihilar cholangiocarcinoma. A phase I study. The STRONG trial (PI)
Brain research: Based on proton therapy (HollandPTC)
- Improving toxicity modelling, patient selection and clinical outcome of proton therapy in low grade glioma (PI).
- HollandPTC-Varian consortium grant o EORTC IDH mutated 1p/19q intact lower grade glioma following resection: Wait Or Treat? The IWOT study. (PI Prof M. van den Bent).
Writing committee and QA group for proton therapy
- Meningioma project together with the department of neurosurgery
- Proton therapy for liver tumors together with the liver tumor board
Scholarships, grants, and awards
- Varian - HollandPTC Consortium grant 2018
- Dutch Cancer Society data management grant 2014
- European Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ESTRO) Accuray award 2012
- Acta Oncologica travel grant 2006