As a medical oncologist with a special expertise in supportive and palliative care I aim to support patients with various physical and emotional problems that frequently occur during the course of cancer. During the last decades, major progress has been made in our ability to improve symptoms and increase well-being in our patients.
As a project leader in the field of supportive and palliative care I aim to develop our strategies further to help patients with life-limiting diseases. I therefore work with a group of researchers and PhD-students on symptom control, decision making and advanced care planning.
Education and career
- 1991 Thesis on Hepatic Encephalopathy
- 1995 Registration as medical oncologist and since then staff member at the Deprtment of Medical Oncology Erasmus MC
- 2010 Professorship on Palliative Oncology
Over the past five years I was responsible for the education on palliative care in the oncology part of the medical curriculum. I also advised on and participated in the specialty training on palliative care for nurses.
In the training of fellows medical oncology at the Erasmus MC, palliative care is included in the multidisciplinary educational curriculum program. On a national level I initiated and developed the yearly post-EAPC meeting.
Since my appointment as a professor in Palliative Oncology I supervised seven theses on symptom control and end-of-life care.
- Chairperson of the Consortium on Palliative Care Southwest Netherlands
- Chairperson of the Dutch Organization for professionals in Palliative Care.
Participating in the dSupportive and Palliative Care research group.
Participating in the following research projects:
- Predicting 1-year mortality in advanced cancer
- Development of a value clarification tool for patients referred for participation in an early phase clinical trial
- Randomized clinical trial on the prevention of death rattle
- Medication management at the end of life
- Advanced care planning in Indonesia
- Implementation of a care pathway on palliative care in a general teaching hospital.