About our research group/lab
Why was this group formed?
We formed this group because so many women worldwide suffer from this disorder (knowingly or unknowingly) . We want to improve the basic knowledge and science about this disorder and improve quality of life for this group of women.
What is the overall aim?
To ensure that women with PCOS receive optimal, evidence-based care.
What type of research do you focus on in this group?
- developing new tools for diagnosis, assessment and management of PCOS.
- providing a basis for improving patient outcomes.
- identifying knowledge gaps and promoting research and translation into practice and policy.
- Cardiovascular risk in women with PCOS.
- The effects of lifestyle intervention on obesity in women with PCOS.
- Sexual dysfunction in women with PCOS.
- Psychological interventions for depression in women with PCOS.
Recommendations from the international evidence-based guideline for the assessment and management of polycystic ovary syndrome.
Teede HJ, Misso ML, Costello MF, Dokras A, Laven J, Moran L, Piltonen T, Norman RJ; International PCOS Network. (2018). Fertil Steril. 2018 Aug;110(3):364-379.
High androgens in postmenopausal women and the risk for atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease: the Rotterdam Study.
Meun C, Franco OH, Dhana K, Jaspers L, Muka T, Louwers Y, Ikram MA, Fauser BCJM, Kavousi M, Laven JSE. (2018). J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2018 Apr 1;103(4):1622-1630.
A three-component cognitive behavioural lifestyle program for preconceptional weight-loss in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): a protocol for a randomized controlled trial.
Jiskoot G, Benneheij SH, Beerthuizen A, de Niet JE, de Klerk C, Timman R, Busschbach JJ, Laven JS. (2017). Reprod Health. 2017 Mar 6;14(1):34.
Dietary patterns and the phenotype of polycystic ovary syndrome: the chance of ongoing pregnancy.
Huijgen NA, Louwers YV, Willemsen SP, de Vries JHM, Steegers-Theunissen RPM, Laven JSE. (2017). Reprod Biomed Online. 2017 Jun;34(6):668-676.
Collaboration within Erasmus MC
- Internal medicine
- Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy
Collaboration outside of Erasmus MC
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM)
- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE)
- Androgen Excess and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Society (AEPCOS)
- Centre for Research Excellence in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (CREPCOS)
- Stichting PCOS Nederland
- Prof. Joop Laven, MD PhD
- Yvonne Louwers, MD PhD
- Geranne Jiskoot, MSc
- Hester Pastoor, MSc