What we do
About our project
What is the motivation for this research?
Bachmann’s bundle is an epicardial structure, characterized by parallel orientated muscular fibers between the right and left atrium. The bundle may play a role in initiation and perpetuation of atrial fibrillation, but the exact mechanism is not yet fully understood. Once the role of Bachmann’s bundle in atrial fibrillation pathophysiology is elucidated, novel target for therapy can be identified.
What is the aim?
To examine the role of Bachmann’s bundle in initiation and perpetuation of atrial fibrillation.
How will you perform this research?
Patients undergoing open-chest cardiac surgery will be included. In these patients, intra-operative, epicardial mapping of the atria including Bachmann’s bundle is performed during sinus rhythm, electrical stimulation and atrial fibrillation.
What is the desirable outcome?
To gain insight into the role of Bachmann’s Bundle in arrhythmogenesis and to identify novel targets for therapy.
Funds & Grants
- Dutch Heart Foundation [2016T071]
- CardioVasculair Onderzoek Nederland – Atrial Fibrillation Fingerprinting (CVON-AFFIP, grant number 914728)
- Nederlandse organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek (NWO-Vidi, grant number 91717339)
- Medical Delta
- Margo J H van Campenhout, Ameeta Yaksh, Charles Kik, Peter P de Jaegere, Siew Yen Ho, Maurits A Allessie, Natasja M S de Groot. Bachmann's bundle: a key player in the development of atrial fibrillation? Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2013 Oct;6(5):1041-6.
- Teuwen CP, Yaksh A, Lanters EA, Kik C, van der Does LJ, Knops P, Taverne YJ, van de Woestijne PC, Oei FB, Bekkers JA, Bogers AJ, Allessie MA and de Groot NM. Relevance of Conduction Disorders in Bachmann's Bundle During Sinus Rhythm in Humans. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2016;9:e003972.
- Wiebe G Knol, Christophe P Teuwen, Gert-Jan Kleinrensink, Ad J J C Bogers, Natasja M S de Groot, Yannick J H J Taverne. The Bachmann bundle and interatrial conduction: comparing atrial morphology to electrical activity. Heart Rhythm. 2019 Apr;16(4):606-614.
- Christophe P Teuwen, Lisette J M E van der Does, Charles Kik, Elisabeth M J P Mouws, Eva A H Lanters, Paul Knops, Yannick J H J Taverne, Ad J J C Bogers, Natasja M S de Groot. Sinus Rhythm Conduction Properties across Bachmann's Bundle: Impact of Underlying Heart Disease and Atrial Fibrillation. J Clin Med. 2020 Jun 16;9(6):1875.