As a senior staff member i combine research with my work as a reconstructive plastic (micro)surgeon. My clinical focus is on breast, head and neck, facial nerve and facial reconstruction.
My research focuses on:
- 3-D technological innovations (Augmented and Virtual Reality) to optimize pre-operative planning, patient experience and medical education.
- patient centered research aiming to optimize outcomes and quality of life (PROMs) after oncological reconstructions (e.g. using decision aids).
Field(s) of expertise
3D technological medical innovations (for pre-operative planning, patient experience and medical education).
Patient centered research (to improve outcomes and quality of life after oncological reconstruction for head&neck cancer, skin cancer and breast cancer).
Education and career
During medical school I started my research project resulting in a PhD titled “The Pectoralis Major Flap in Reconstructive Surgery” in 2008.
After finishing medical school and my residency in plastic surgery at the UMC Utrecht in 2010, I did a fellowship in craniofacial reconstructive plastic surgery at Vancouver General Hospital in Canada in 2011.
Since 2012 I have been working as a Plastic Surgeon at the Erasmus MC with the focus on reconstructive microsurgery including breast, head and neck, facial nerve and facial reconstruction.
In 2018 I got my University Teaching Qualification at the Erasmus MC.
[An unusal tumor after breast augmentation]
Laura C. Burlage, Milea J.M. Timbergen, Cornelis Verhoef en Eveline M.L. Corten.
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2018; 162: D2814.
Evaluation of cosmetic outcome following breast-conserving therapy in trials: panel versus digitalized analysis and the role of PROMs.
Lagendijk M, Vos EL, Nieboer D, Verhoef C, Corten EML, Koppert LB.
Breast J. 2018 Jul; 24(4): 519-525.
TUmor-volume to breast-volume RAtio for improving COSmetic results in breast cancer patients (TURACOS); a randomized controlled trial.
Lagendijk M, Vos EL, Koning AHJ, Hunink MGM, Pignol JP, Corten EML, de Monye C, van Deurzen CHM, van Dam JH, Vrijland WW, Contant CME, Verhoef C, van Lankeren W, Koppert LB.
BMC Cancer. 2017 May 17; 17(1): 336.
A systematic review on the sensory reinnervation of free flaps for tongue reconstruction: Does improved sensibility imply functional benefits?
Baas M, Duraku LS, Corten EM, Mureau MA.
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2015 Aug; 68(8): 1025-35.
Van Kampen RJ, Corten EM, Schellekens PP.
Ann Plast Surg. 2014 Nov; 73(5): 535-9.
Corten EM, Schellekens PP, Hage JJ, Kon M.
Ann Plast Surg. 2009 Sep; 63(3): 292-6.
Corten EM, Hage JJ, Schellekens PP, Kreulen M, Kon M.
Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 May; 123(5): 1462-7.|
Corten EM, Schellekens PP, Oey PL, Hage JJ, Kerst A, Kon M.
Ann Plast Surg. 2007 Apr; 58(4): 392-6.
Corten EM, Schellekens PP, Bleys RL, Hage JJ, Kon M.
Ann Plast Surg. 2006 Jan; 56(1): 82-6.
Corten EM, van den Broecke DG, Kon M, Schuurman AH.
J Hand Surg Am. 2004 Mar; 29(2): 236-9.
Corten EML, Schellekens PP, Bleys RL, Kon M.
Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003 Sep 15; 112(4): 969-75.
- 2018 University Teaching Qualification (UTQ)
- 2017 – present Coordinator and supervisor of medical
- 2017 – present Coordinator of Regional Reference Meetings
- 2015 – present Teacher in postdoctoral education
- 2015 – 2017 Coach medical students ErasmusMC
- 2014 – present Organisation of several Esser Courses
- 2013 – present Teaching coordinator Bachelor and Master phase in Medicine
- 2013 – present Teacher Bachelor and Master phase in Medicine
- 2013 – present Microsurgical training courses
- Chairman plastic surgery staff meetings (2017 – 2019)
- Deputy Member Beraad Erasmus MC Cancer Institute (2016 – present)
- Member Oncology Committee Franciscus Gasthuis (2015 – present)
- President Quality Committee Nederlandse Vereniging voor Plastische Chirurgie (NVPC) (2018 – present)
- President Review Committee NVPC (2017 – present)
- Member national guideline committee “Update Guideline Squamous Cell Carcinoma” (2016 – 2017)
- Member national guideline committee “Update Guideline Basal Cell Carcinoma – part 2” (2015 – 2016)
- Member national guideline committee “Update Guideline Basal Cell Carcinoma – part 1” (2013 – 2014)