The scientific research office performs and supports several clinical and population-based screening studies. On average five PhD students are working under my guidance. I am the PI of the European Randomized study of Screening for Prostate Cancer (ERSPC) and co-PI of the Prostate Cancer Research International Active Surveillance (prias-project) and the Movember Global Action Plan-3 (active surveillance). Since 2018 I am part of the PIONEER European network for big data in prostate cancer (prostate-pioneer). I am the chairwoman of the ERSPC Foundation, and the Dutch Prostate Cancer Research Foundation (SWOP). My main interest is in predictive modeling (prostatecancer-riskcalculator).
Field(s) of expertise
- Mobile applications.
Education and career
- Research technician BSC and PhD in Epidemiology.
- Feb 1985 - Sept 1991: Molecular biologic research technician, Department of Immunology, Erasmus MC.
- Sept 1991 - Dec 2001: Coordinating data manager screening studies, Department of Urology, Erasmus MC.
- Jan 2002 - April 2011: Study coordinator, Department of Urology, Erasmus MC.
- May 2011 - Aug 2017: Associate Professor, Department of Urology, Erasmus MC.
- Sept 2017 - current: Professor Decision making in Urology, Department of urology, Erasmus MC.
A complete overview of publications can be found here:
Previous studies in the lab have shown that autologous dendritic cells pulsed with allogenic tumor cell lysate was able to induce peripheral T cell activation and tumor-reactive T cell responses in patients with mesothelioma and pancreatic cancer. Current research focuses on how to initiate an effective immune response in the tumor as well as the tumor-draining lymph node using dendritic cell vaccination. Furthermore, we are studying novel approaches for (personalized) vaccination. In addition, we have identified T cell characteristics that underlie clinical efficacy of immune check inhibitors or chemotherapeutic agents in mesothelioma. The selected publications below give an impression of our work.
- The supervision of several PhD students and medical students (20 weeks research).
- Yearly teaching for second year medical students “keuze onderwijs bekken bodem en thema 9.
- Yearly teaching all first year students “klinische technologie”.
- Yearly teaching for the “bachelor onderwijs Urologie”
- Yearly teaching second year medical students: practicum statistics.
- Several lectures on the subject prostate cancer screening and the value of screening tests were given for GP’s and urologists and within the Molmed course “Basic and translational Oncology”.
Scholarships, grants, and awards
- ‘Screening and early detection of Prostate Cancer: The Rotterdam experience.’ Congress: 2nd international conference for nurses and allied health care professionals on prostate cancer.
- EORTC Paris, June 1998. Price for best abstract and presentation.
- Thesis: Prostate Cancer Screening: tests and algorithms, 21 December 2005. Awarded with the van Stockum Prijs 2007, a 2-yearly price of the Dutch Urological Foundation for the best urological thesis.
- Travel grant for best abstract: Active Surveillance meeting San Francisco January 2007.
- The European Association of Urology (EAU) 2010 Prize for best paper published on clinical research. EAU 2010, Barcelona.
- The 2011 Platinum Award of European Urology for dedication and contribution to the field of urology.
- Award for outstanding contribution Weill Cornell medical College and NY Presbyterian Hospital: The 2011 International prostate cancer symposium.
- The 2015 BJUI social media award for best urological App.
- International cancer Screening Network Meeting, 2015, 2nd price Poster award.
- The 2018 Platinum Award of European urology for continuing dedication and contribution to the field of Urology.
- The 2019 Vlietstra Award of the Dutch Urology Association for best scientific abstract and presentation.