Field(s) of expertise
Education and career
Gulce Sari performed her PhD studies at Erasmus University Medical Center in Rotterdam, The Netherlands between 2017 and 2020. Projects she was involved in included translational virus-host interaction studies on several mouse models for chronic viral hepatitis, such as chronic HEV infection studies on human liver-chimeric mouse model and the LCMV immunocompetent infection model for the evaluation of novel immunomodulators. She has performed pre-clinical assessments of the novel immunomodulatory compounds targeting exhausted CD8 T cells in cancer immune evasion or a chronic infectious disease setting. She has also evaluated pegIFNlambda as a new treatment candidate against chronic HEV infections and had a patent now for the treatment chronic HEV infections using pegIFNlambda (Inventor, U.S. Application Nos. 63/119,524 and 63/149,788).
She worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center, USA between December 2020 and December 2022. Her projects focused on the mechanisms which control the display of foreign antigens to the immune system by MHC class I molecules. She tested the hypotheses that loss of expression of ‘interferon regulatory factor 2’ is one of the ways that foreign pathogens or tumors escape the immune surveillance and that this is associated with worse clinical outcomes and low success of immunotherapy response. For this purpose, she used Crispr-Cas9 whole genome screening system to enlist new candidate genes which are then used both in vitro and in vivo xenografted mouse models. She collaborated with both industrial and academic partners, using both retrospective and prospective approach to analyze clinical data.
See also: Orchid.org
- Sari G*, Zhu J*, Ambardekar C, Yin X, Boonstra A, Feng Z, Vanwolleghem T. The viral open reading frame 3 protein is required for hepatitis E virus fecal shedding and persistent infection in humanized mice. Journal of Virology 2021; 95:23, e00585-21 (* shared first authorship).
- Sari G, Mulders CE, Zhu J, van Oord GW, Feng Z, Kreeft-Voermans JJC, Boonstra A, Vanwolleghem T. Treatment induced clearance of HEV by IFN-lambda in liver humanized mice. Liver International 2021; 41(12): 2866–2873.
- Sari, G., van Oord, G.W., van de Garde, M.D.B., Voermans, J.J.C., Boonstra, A., Vanwolleghem, T., Sexual dimorphism in hepatocyte xenograft models. Cell Transplantation 2021, 30, 09636897211006132.
- Sari G, Meester EJ, van der Zee LC, Wouters K, van Lennep JR, Peppelenbosch M, Boonstra A, Van der Heiden K, Mulder MMT, Vanwolleghem T. A mouse model of humanized liver shows a human-like lipid profile but does not form atherosclerotic plaque after western type diet. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 2020 pii: S0006-291X(20)30136-4.
- Sari G, van de Garde MDB, van Schoonhoven A, Voermans JJC, van der Eijk AA, de Man RA, Boonstra A, Vanwolleghem T, Pas SD. Hepatitis E Virus Shows More Genomic Alterations in Cell Culture than In Vivo. Pathogens 2019 pii: E255. doi:10.3390/pathogens8040255.
- Januzzi AT, Yilmaz AM, Arslan S, Sari G, Beklen H, Fedorova M, Arga KY, Karademir-Yilmaz B, Alpertunga B. Higher proteotoxic stress rather than mitochondrial damage is involved in higher neurotoxicity of bortezomib compared to carfilzomib. Redox Biology 2020, 101502.
- Karademir B*, Sari G*, Jannuzzi AT, Musunuri S, Wicher G, Grune T, Mi J, Hacioglu-Bay H, Forsberg-Nilsson K, Bergquist J, Jung T. Proteomic approach for understanding milder neurotoxicity of carfilzomib against Bortezomib. Scientific Reports 2018; 8(1):16318. (* shared first author)
- Sari G, Okat Z, Sahin A, Karademir B. Proteasome Inhibitors in Cancer Therapy, and their Relation to Redox Regulation. Current Pharmaceutical Design 2018; 24(44):5252-5267.
- Ozbeyli D, Sari G, Ozkan N, Karademir B, Yüksel M, Sirvanci S, Kasimay O. Effects of different exercise modalities in ovariectomized rats treated with D-galactose. Behavioural Brain Research 2017, doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2017.03.044.
- Sari G, Torcun CC, Grune T, Ozer NK, Karademir B. Proteasome inhibitors in cancer therapy: treatment regiemen and peripheral neuropathy as a side effect. Free Radical Biology & Medicine 2016, 103:1-13.
- Sari G, Yazar M, Tozkir H, Duymaz J, Gürkan H. Identification of a novel HLA-A*26 allele, HLA-A*26:01:36, in a Turkish family by sequence-based typing. Tissue Antigens 2014, 84(6):580-1. doi: 10.1111/tan.12461.
Scholarships, grants, and awards
- 2021 - Nederlandse Vereniging voor Hepatologie (NVH) Thesis Printing Grant
- 2020 - Dutch Society of Immunology (NVVI) Travel Grant
- 2019 - Full Bursary-Young Investigator Award, EASL ILC, Vienna, Austria
- 2016 - Best Oral Presentation, 1st International Cell Death Research Congress, Izmir, Turkey
- 2015 - Young Scientist Award, SFRR-E Meeting, Stuttgart, Germany
- 2015 - Erasmus Staff Training and Mobility Grant
- 2014 - Cooperation in Science and Technology Short Term Scientific Mission Grant