Yann Seimbille obtained his PhD degree in 2002 at the University of Sherbrooke (Canada). He joined the division of Nuclear Medicine at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) as postdoctoral fellow and in 2005 he was appointed as Assistant Professor in the department of Molecular & Medical Pharmacology. In 2006, he became Head of the Cyclotron Unit in the division of Nuclear Medicine & Molecular Imaging at the University of Geneva. From 2015 to 2017, he worked at Canada’s particle accelerator centre (TRIUMF) in Vancouver as research scientist and deputy associate laboratory director for the Life Sciences Division before joining Erasmus MC in July 2017.
His scientific interests include the design of molecules for multimodality imaging and theranostic applications, as well as technology and methodology developments in radiopharmaceutical sciences.
Field(s) of expertise
The RadioPharmaceutical Chemistry (RPC) group is mainly focusing on the development of radiopharmaceuticals for targeted diagnosis and treatment of cancer. By combining a targeting vector (i.e. small molecules, peptides, antibodies) with an imaging radionuclide, we can identify molecular alterations of cancer cells using noninvasive nuclear imaging. Subsequently, treatment of tumors can be specifically achieved with targeted radionuclide therapy. It corresponds to the so-called “theranostic” paradigm. Our research program is a molecular-imaging-based program focused on theranostics and multimodality imaging probes, with an emphasis on developing these novel radiopharmaceuticals for clinical translation.
Education and career
- 2017 to present: Erasmus MC, department of Radiology & Nuclear Medicine (Rotterdam, Netherlands): Assistant Professor and Head of Radiopharmaceutical chemistry.
- 2015 to 2017: TRIUMF, Division of Life Sciences (Vancouver, Canada): Research Scientist and Deputy Associate Laboratory Director for the Life Sciences Division.
- 2011 to 2015: University of Geneva, School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences (Geneva, Switzerland): Assistant Professor and Head of the cyclotron unit and the microPET/SPECT/CT imaging Lab.
- 2006 to 2011: University of Geneva, School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences (Geneva, Switzerland): Lecturer and Head of the cyclotron unit.
- 2005 to 2006: University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology (Los Angeles, USA): Assistant Professor.
- 2002 to 2004: University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology (Los Angeles, USA): Postdoctoral Fellow.
- 2009-2010: Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (Zurich, Switzerland): Postgraduate certificate in Radiopharmacy / Radiopharmaceutical Chemistry.
- 1998-2002: University of Sherbrooke (Sherbrooke, Canada): Ph.D. in Radiobiology / Radiopharmaceutical Sciences.
- 1996-1997: University of Paris XI (Orsay, France): Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Nuclear Chemistry.
- 1992-1996: Université de Bretagne Occidentale (Brest, France): Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Chemistry.
- Chen K-T, Nguyen K, Ieritano C, Gao F, Seimbille Y. A flexible synthesis of 68Ga-labeled carbonic anhydrase IX (CAIX)-targeted molecules via CBT/1,2-aminothiol click reaction. Molecules, 2019, 24, 23 (DOI: 10.3390/molecules24010023).
- Gao F, Ieritano C, Chen K-T, Dias G, Rousseau J, Bénard F, Seimbille Y. Two bifunctional desferrioxamine chelators for bioorthogonal labeling of biovectors with zirconium-89. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 2018, 16, 5102-5106 (DOI: 10.1039/C8OB01434E).
- Chen K-T, Ieritano C, Seimbille Y. Early-stage incorporation strategy for regioselective labeling of peptides using the 2-cyanobenzothiazole/1,2-aminothiol bioorthogonal click reaction. ChemistryOpen, 2018, 7(3), 256-261 (DOI: 10.1002/open.201700191).
- Garibotto V, Wissmeyer M, Giavri Z, Goldstein R, Seimbille Y, Seeck M, Ratib O, Haller S, Picard F. Nicotinic receptor abnormalities as biomarker in idiopathic generalized epilepsy. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, 2018 (DOI: 10.1007/s00259-018-4175-0).
- Lamanna G, Tabouret-Viaud C, Rager O, Jorcano S, Vees HJ, Seimbille Y, Zaidi H, Ratib O, Buchegger F, Miralbell R, Zilli T, Garibotto V. Long-term results of a comparative PET/CT and PET/MRI study of 11C-acetate and 18F-fluorocholine for restating early recurrent prostate cancer. Clinical Nuclear Medicine, 2017, 42(5), e242-e246.
- Colin DJ, Inkster JAH, Germain S, Seimbille Y. Preclinical validations of [18F]FPyPEGCBT-c(RGDfK): a 18F-labelled RGD peptide prepared by ligation of 2-cyanobenzothiazole and 1,2-aminothiol to image angiogenesis. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging Radiopharmacy and Chemistry, 2016, 1-16.
- D’Amato-Brito C, Cipriano D, Colin DJ, Germain S, Seimbille Y, Robert JH, Triponez F, Serre-Beinier V. Role of MIF/CD74 signaling pathway in the development of pleural mesothelioma. OncoTarget, 2016, 7(10), 11512-11525.
- Chevalier C, Stojanović O, Colin DJ, Suarez-Zamorano N, Tarallo V, Veyrat-Durebex C, Rigo D, Fabbiano S, Stevanović A, Hagemann S, Montet X, Seimbille Y, Zamboni N, Hapfelmeier S, Trajkovski M. Gut microbiota orchestrates energy homeostasis during cold. Cell. 2015, 163, 1360-1374.
- Suarez-Zamorano N, Fabbiano S, Chevalier C, Stojanovic O, Colin DJ, Stevanovic A, Veyrat-Durebex C, Tarallo V, Rigo D, Germain S, Ilievska M, Montet X, Seimbille Y, Hapfelmeier S, Trajkovski M. Microbiota depletion promotes browning of white adipose tissue and reduces obesity. Nature Medicine. 2015, 21, 1497-1501.
- Trombella S, Garcia D, Colin DJ, Germain S, Seimbille Y, Ratib O. [11C]acetate and PET/CT assessment of muscle activation in rat studies. International Journal of Computed Assisted Radiology and Surgery. 2015, dos:10.1007/s11548-015-1260-8.
- Inkster J, Colin D, Seimbille Y. A novel 2-cyanobenzothiazole-based 18F prosthetic group for conjugation to 1,2-aminothiol-bearing targeting vectors. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry. 2015, 13, 3667-3676.
- Baskin A, Buchegger F, Seimbille Y, Ratib O, Garibotto V. PET molecular imaging of hypoxia in ischemic stroke: an update. Current Vascular Pharmacology. 2015, 13(2), 209-217.
- Monaco A, Prior J, Michielin O, Scapozza L, Seimbille Y. Synthesis of a Novel Non-Peptidic PET Tracer for α5β1 Integrin Receptor. Journal of Labelled Compounds and Radiopharmaceuticals. 2014, 57(5), 365-370.
- Baskin A, Giannakopoulos P, Ratib O, Seimbille Y, Assal F, Perani D, Garibotto V. PET radiotracers for molecular imaging in dementia. Current Radiopharmaceuticals. 2013, 6(4), 215-230.
- Monaco A, Zoete V, Ruegg C, Michielin O, Prior J, Scapozza L, Seimbille Y. Synthesis and in vitro evaluation of a novel radioligand for αvβ3 integrin receptor imaging: [18F]FPPA-c(RGDfK). Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 2013, 23, 6068-6072.
- Buchegger F, Garibotto V, Zilli T, Allainmat L, Jorcano S, Vees H, Rager O, Steiner C, Zaidi H, Seimbille Y, Ratib O, Miralbell R. First imaging results of an intra-individual comparison of 11C-acetate and 18F-fluorocholine PET/CT for patients with prostate cancer at early biochemical first or second relapse after prostatectomy or radiotherapy. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. 2013, 41(1), 68-78.
- Vincenti G, Ambrosio G, Hyacinthe JN, Quercioli A, Seimbille Y, Mach F, Ratib O, Vallée JP, Schindler T. Matching between regional coronary vasodilator capacity and corresponding circumferential strain in individuals with normal and increasing body weight. Journal of Nuclear Cardiology. 2012, 19(4), 693-703.
- Miralbell R, Vees H, Ratib O, Wissmeyer M, Steiner C, Seimbille Y, Khan H, Buchegger F. Long-term post-treatment MR and PET/CT imaging in prostate cancer patients in complete remission after curative radiotherapy with or without androgen deprivation: the image of cure. Journal of Nuclear Medicine & Radiation Therapy. 2011, 2(3), 118.
- Quercioli A, Pataky Z, Vincenti G, Makoundou V, Di Marzo V, Montecucco F, Carballo S, Thomas A, Staub C, Steffens S, Seimbille Y, Golay A, Ratib O, Harsch E, Mach F, Schindler T. Elevated endocannabinoid plasma levels are associated with coronary circulatory dysfunction in obesity. European Heart Journal. 2011, 32(11), 1369-1378.
- Bucchegger F, Ratib O, Willi JP, Steiner C, Seimbille Y, Zaidi H, Graf V, Peter R, Jung M. [11C]Acetate PET/CT visualizes skeletal muscle exercise participation, impaired function, and recovery after hip arthroplasty; First results. Molecular Imaging and Biology. 2010, 13(4), 793-799.
- Vincenti G, Quercioli A, Zaidi H, Nkoulou R, Dewarrat S, Rager O, Ambrosio G, Seimbille Y, Mach F, Ratib O, Schindler T. Combined evaluation of myocardial perfusion and coronary morphology in the identification of subclinical CAD. Radiation exposure of 13N-ammonia PET/CT. Nuklearmedizin. 2010, 49(5), 173-182.
- Valenta I, Quercioli A, Vincenti G, Dewarrat S, Zaidi H, Seimbille Y, Mach F, Ratib O, Schindler T. Structural epicardial disease and microvascular function are determinants of an abnormal longitudinal myocardial blood flow difference in cardiovascular risk individuals as determined with PET/CT. Journal of Nuclear Cardiology. 2010, 17(6), 1023-1033.
- Lukić D, Tamburella C, Buchegger F, Beyer GJ, Čomor JJ, Seimbille Y. Optimized production and purification of 86Y based on electrochemical separation. Applied Radiation and Isotopes. 2009, 67(4), 523-529.
- Modolo L, Bolard G, Prior JO, Seimbille Y, Kosinski M, Hejira N, Delaloye AB, Bochud F, Verdun FR. Performance comparison of two commercial whole-body PET/CT scanners using NEMA NU 2-2001. Médecine Nucléaire. 2007, 31, 372-379.
- Schindler TH, Seimbille Y, Mhiri L, Nkoulou R, Lerch R, Ratib O, Mach F, Schelbert HR. Myocardial perfusion and coronary vasomotor function: emerging role of PET imaging. Vascular Disease Prevention. 2007, 4(4), 322-332.
- Su H, Seimbille Y, Safaei A, Bodenstein C, Fueger B, Kim K, Hsu Y, Dubinett S, Czernin J, Weber W. Evaluation of [18F]Gefitinib as a molecular imaging probe for assessment of the epidermal growth factor receptor status of malignant tumors. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. 2008, 35(6), 1089-1099.
- Su H, Bodenstein C, Dumont RA, Seimbille Y, Dubinett S, Phelps ME, Herschman H, Czernin J, Weber W. Monitoring tumor glucose utilization by Positron Emission Tomography for the prediction of treatment response to epidermal growth factor receptor kinase inhibitors. Clinical Cancer Research. 2006, 12, 5659-5667.
- Azarian V, Gangloff A, Seimbille Y, Delaloye S, Czernin J, Phelps ME, Silverman DH. Synthesis and liposome encapsulation of a novel 18F-conjugate of ω-conotoxin GVIA for the potential imaging of N-type Ca2+ channels in the brain by positron emission tomography. Journal of Labelled Compounds and Radiopharmaceuticals. 2006, 49(3), 269-283.
- Seimbille Y, Phelps ME, Czernin J, Silverman DH. Fluorine-18 labeling of 6,7-disubstituted anilinoquinazoline derivatives for positron emission tomography (PET) imaging of tyrosine kinase receptors: synthesis of 18F-Iressa and related molecular probes. Journal of Labelled Compounds and Radiopharmaceuticals. 2005, 48(11), 829-843.
- Seimbille Y, Czernin J, Phelps ME, Silverman DH. Synthesis of an 18F-fluorobenzoate idarubicin derivative as new potential PET radiotracer to predict chemotherapy resistance. Journal of Labelled Compounds and Radiopharmaceuticals. 2005, 48(11), 819-827.
- Seimbille Y, Bénard F, Rousseau J, Pepin E, Aliaga A, Tessier G, van Lier JE. Impact on estrogen receptor binding and target tissue uptake of [18F]fluorine substitution at the 16α-position of fulvestrant (faslodex; ICI 182,780). Nuclear Medicine and Biology. 2004, 31(6), 691-698.
- Seimbille Y, Bénard F, van Lier JE. Synthesis of 16α-fluoro ICI 182,780 derivatives: Powerful antiestrogens to image estrogen receptor densities in breast cancer by positron emission tomography. Journal of Chemical Society. Perkin Trans. 1. 2002, 20, 2275-2281.
- Seimbille Y, Rousseau J, Bénard F, Morin C, Ali H, Avvakumov G, Hammond GL, van Lier JE. 18F labeled difluoroestradiols: Preparation and preclinical evaluation as estrogen receptor-binding radiopharmaceuticals. Steroids. 2002, 67, 765-775.
- Seimbille Y, Ali H, van Lier JE. Synthesis of 2,16α- and 4,16α-difluoroestradiols and their 11β-methoxy derivatives as potential estrogen receptor-binding radiopharmaceuticals. Journal of Chemical Society. Perkin Trans. 1. 2002, 5, 657-663.
- Ben Said K, Seimbille Y, Fattahi M, Houée-Levin, C, Abbé JC. Gamma radiation effects on potassium pertechnetate in carbonate media. Applied Radiation and Isotopes. 2001, 54(1), 45-51.
From 2006 to present, I have been involved in teaching different courses in radiopharmaceutical chemistry, radiopharmacy and molecular imaging at pre- and post-graduate levels. I have supervised 5 Ph.D. students, 4 Master thesis and 4 Bachelor students.
- 2018 to present: European Association of Nuclear Medicine: Member of the Drug Development Committee.
- 2018 to Present: TRIUMF Affiliate Scientist.
- 2006 to 2015: University Hospital of Geneva, Division of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (Geneva, Switzerland): Qualified Person (QP).
Scholarships, grants, and awards
- 2014 to 2018: Leenaards Foundation; A theranostic approach towards targeted chemotherapy delivery by RGD-conjugated cytotoxic compounds.
- 2013 to 2014: Industrial grant from Intrace Medical; Development of new synthons and bifunctional chelating agents to synthesize novel PET imaging probes.
- 2013: Ernst and Lucie Schmidheiny Foundation; Acquisition of a Chemidoc MP imaging modality for high through put in vitro screening of novel molecular imaging probes.
- 2012 to 2013: Research grant INNOGAP; Development of a universal microﬂuidic chip for ﬂuorine-18 chemistry.
- 2010 to 2011: Investment fund of the University of Geneva; Multi-modality platform (PET/SPECT/CT) of preclinical molecular imaging.
- 2009 to 2010: Fondation pour la lutte contre le cancer; 64Cu-ATSM for imaging prostate cancer hypoxia.
- 2009 to 2015: Swiss National Science Foundation; PET and EEG study of the nicotinic system in epilepsy.
- 2008 to 2011: Leenaards Foundation; Noninvasive tumor angiogenesis imaging based on αvβ3 and α5β1 integrin-targeted molecular probes with positron emission tomography.
- 2008 to 2011: Swiss National Science Foundation; Development of novel Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors (TKIs) as molecular probes for Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Imaging and Treatment of cancers.
- 2007 to 2008: Research grant from the center of clinical research; Synthesis of a PET tracer studying the neuronal nicotinic receptors, [18F]F-A-85380.
- 2014: Leenaards Award in Translational Research
- 2008: Leenaards Award
- 2002: Mention d’honneur du Doyen
- 2001: Mention d’honneur du Doyen
- 2001: DUPONT-Pharma Award
- 2001: Travel Award from the Society of Radiopharmaceutical Sciences