The global increase of antimicrobial resistance is currently recognized as one of the most serious threats to human health. With my research, focused on antimicrobial resistance and infection prevention and control, I aim to contribute to this field by understanding specific aspects of this problem and finding solutions. I am doing this in the Netherlands, but also in some low- to middle-income countries, where the burden and the threat of antimicrobial resistance is highest.
Field(s) of expertise
- Infection prevention and control (IPC) and antimicrobial resistance (AMR), with focus on low-to middle-income countries (LMIC)
- Carbapenem-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa (non-CF)
- Outbreak management and transmission of pathogens (and their mobile genetic elements) in healthcare settings
Education and career
I graduated as a Medical Doctor from the Leiden University in 2001. I completed my training in medical microbiology at the Erasmus MC in Rotterdam in 2006. In 2009, I obtained my PhD degree with the thesis entitled “Antimicrobial Resistance in Indonesia: Prevalence, determinants and genetic basis”. Currently, I am the medical coordinator of the Unit infection prevention in the Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases at the Erasmus MC. Since 2002, I have been involved in teaching and lecturing in local, national, and international settings. I have supervised >50 (medical) students in projects, traineeships, and fellowships.
Most recent and relevant publications:
- Coello-Pelgrin A., Y. R. Saharman, A. Griffon, M. Palmieri, C. Mirande, A. Karuniawati, R. Sedono, D. Aditianingsih, W. Goessens, A. van Belkum, H. A. Verbrugh, C. H. W. Klaassen, and J. A. Severin. 2019. High-risk international clones of carbapenem non-susceptible Pseudomonas aeruginosa endemic in Indonesian intensive care: impact of a multifaceted infection control intervention analyzed at the genomic level. mBio.
- Boonstra M. B., D. C. M. Spijkerman, A. F. Voor in ’t holt, R. J. van der Laan, L. G. M. Bode, W. van Vianen, C. H. W. Klaassen, M. C. Vos, and J. A. Severin. 2019. An outbreak of ST307 extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in a rehabilitation center: an unusual source and route of transmission. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol.
- Persoon M.C., A. F. Voor in 't holt, M. P. A. van Meer, K. C. Bokhoven, D. Gommers, M. C. Vos, and J. A. Severin. 2019. Mortality related to Verona Integron-encoded Metallo-β-lactamase-positive Pseudomonas aeruginosa: assessment by a novel clinical tool. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 8:107.
- Saharman Y. R., A. C. Pelegrin, A. Karuniawati, R. Sedono, D. Aditianingsih, W. H. F. Goessens, C. H. W. Klaassen, A. van Belkum, C. Mirande, H. A. Verbrugh, and J. A. Severin. 2019. The epidemiology and characterization of carbapenem-non-susceptible Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a large intensive care unit in Jakarta, Indonesia. Int J Antimicrob Agents.
- Saharman Y. R., D. Aoulad Fares, S. El-Atmani, R. Sedono, D. Aditianingsih, A. Karuniawati, J. van Rosmalen, H. A. Verbrugh, and J. A. Severin. 2019. A multifaceted hand hygiene improvement program on the intensive care units of the national referral hospital of Indonesia in Jakarta. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 7:32.
- Voor in 't holt A. F., J. A. Severin, M. B. H. Hagenaars, I. de Goeij, D. Gommers, and M. C. Vos. 2018. VIM-positive Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a large tertiary care hospital: matched case-control studies and a network analysis. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 7:32.
- Saharman Y. R., A. Karuniawati, R. Sedono, D. Aditianingsih, P. Sudarmono, W. H. F. Goessens, C. H. W. Klaassen, H. A. Verbrugh, and J. A. Severin. 2018. Endemic carbapenem-nonsusceptible Acinetobacter baumannii-calcoaceticus complex in intensive care units of the national referral hospital in Jakarta, Indonesia. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 7:5.
- Santosaningsih D., S. Santoso, N. Setijowati, H. A. Rasyid, N. S. Budayanti, K. Suata, D. B. Widhyatmoko, P. B. Purwono, K. Kuntaman, D. Damayanti, C. R. S. Prakoeswa, M. Laurens, J. W. I. van Nierop, G. L. Nanninga, N. Oudenes, M. de Regt, S. V. Snijders, H. A. Verbrugh, and J. A. Severin. 2018. Prevalence and characterization of Staphylococcus aureus causing community-acquired skin and soft tissue infections on Java and Bali, Indonesia. Trop Med Int Health. 23:34-44.
- Ganjo A. R., D. M. Maghdid, I. Y. Mansoor, D. J. Kok, J. A. Severin, H. A. Verbrugh, D. Kreft, M. H. Fatah, A. A. Alnakshabandi, A. Dlnya, A. M. Hammerum, K. Ng, and W. Goessens. 2016. OXA-carbapenemases present in clinical Acinetobacter baumannii-calcoaceticus complex isolates from patients in Kurdistan region, Iraq. Microb Drug Resist. 22:627-637.
- Holt K. E., H. Wertheim, R. N. Zadoks, S. Baker, C. A. Whitehouse, D. Dance, A. Jenney, T. R. Connor, L. Y. Hsu, J. Severin, S. Brisse, H. Cao, J. Wilksch, C. Gorrie, M. B. Schultz, D. J. Edwards, K. V. Nguyen, T. V. Nguyen, T. T. Dao, M. Mensink, V. L. Minh, N. T. Nhu, C. Schultsz, K. Kuntaman, P. N. Newton, C. E. Moore, R. A. Strugnell, and N. R. Thomson. 2015. Diversity, population structure, virulence and antimicrobial resistance of Klebsiella pneumoniae, an urgent threat to public health. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 112:E3574-81.
- Verfaillie C. J., M. J. Bruno, A. Voor in 't holt, J. G. Buijs, J. W. Poley, A. J. Loeve, J. A. Severin, L. F. Abel, B. J. Smit, I. de Goeij, and M. C. Vos. 2015. Withdrawal of a novel-design duodenoscope ends outbreak of a VIM-2-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Endoscopy. 47:493-502.
- Van der Bij A. K., D. van der Zwan, G. Peirano, J. A. Severin, J. D. Pitout, M. van Westreenen, and W. H. Goessens on behalf of the MBL-PA surveillance study group. 2012. Metallo-β-lactamase-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa in the Netherlands: the nationwide emergence of a single sequence type. Clin Microbiol Infect 18:E369-72.
- Van der Bij A. K., R. van Mansfeld, G. Peirano, W. H. F. Goessens, J. A. Severin, J. D. D. Pitout, R. Willems, and M. van Westreenen. 2011. First outbreak of VIM-2-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa in The Netherlands: microbiology, epidemiology, and clinical outcomes. Int J Antimicrob Agents 37:513-8.
- From 2010-2017, I was a member, and later chairman of the Control Board of the Dutch Workingparty on Infection Prevention (WIP).
- Since 2015, I am the vice-chairman of the National Signaling Consultation of Hospital-acquired Infections and AntiMicrobial Resistance (SO-ZI/AMR).
Scholarships, grants, and awards
EUR Fellowship on “Understanding successful clones of multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa” (2016).
You can find me on Twitter: @JulietteSeverin