Field(s) of expertise
- Prostate cancer.
- Small RNA.
- Molecular biology.
Education and career
2017 - present: Assistant professor, Department of Urology, Erasmus MC.
2012 - 2016: Senior Research Scientist, Department of Urology, Erasmus MC.
2008 - 2012: Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Department of Urology, Erasmus MC
2002 - 2007: Doctorate (PhD) in Functional Genomics at the Department of Microbiology, Wageningen University.
1992 - 1998: Master (MSc) in Biology with specialization in Biotechnology and Molecular Biology at Plovdiv University “Paisii Hilendarski”, Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
A complete overview of publications can be found here:
- Coordinator of the Facultative Education Course for 2nd year Bachelor in Medicine, Thema 9: 'Cancer - from bench to bead side and back'.
- Tutor for medical students for 2nd year Bachelor of Medicine course 'Translational cancer research'.
- Lecturer and chair for the MolMed course for PhD Students and Postdocs 'Biomedical Research Techniques' Section on 'Introduction to RNA sequencing'.
- Host of the Critical Appraisal Journal Club for MSc and PhD students at the Department of Urology, Erasmus MC.
PhD thesis Co-Promotor:
- Daniela Barros Silva 'Epitranscriptomics, RNA methylation changes in prostate cancer', planed defense 2022.
- Dr Youri Hoogstrate. 'Molecular and Computational Transcriptomics in Prostate Cancer', 2019.
- Mina Sattari, PhD candidate (TAU, Finland).
- Dr. Stefania Crucitta (University of Piza, Italy).
- Nea Bister, PhD candidate (UEF, Finland).
- Dr. Mauro Scaravilli (TAU, Finland).
Master thesis formal supervisor:
- Curent: Jonathan Klavert.
- Past: Tamirat Woldekiros, Michael Olvedy, Anton Kalsbeek, Sanaz Yahyanejad, Christos Chelonas.
Bachelor thesis formal supervisor:
- Past: Jeffrey Slagter, Johan Tsui, Stanley Van Herk, Nandi Celosse, Bas Pigmans, Youri Hoogstrate.
- Management Committee member and representative of the Netherlands in the European Epitranscriptomics Network (EPITRAN).
- Member of the International Society of Extracellular Vesicles (ISEV) and the Netherlands Society for Extracellular Vesicles (NLSEV).
- Affiliated Member of the European Association of Urology.
- Former Vice-chair and board member of the PostDoc Network Board of Erasmus MC.
- Co-founder, Founder and former board member of the Carrier Guidance Program for young research professionals at Erasmus MC funded by grant from the SoFoKles Program, 2017.
Scholarships, grants, and awards
- 2019: Erasmus University Fellowship; by Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- 2014: A personal travel award by the European Association of Urology Section of Urological Research (ESUR).
- 2013: Award for Best Paper published on Fundamental Research in the Urological Literature in 2012 by the European Association of Urology (EAU).
- 2013: Co-Principal Investigator, Erasmus MRACE Pilot Grant.
- 2012: VENI , Innovation Impuls grant by the Netherland's Science Organization (NWO).
- 2010: Principal Investigator, Erasmus MRACE Pilot Grant.
- 2010: A personal travel award by the European Association of Urology Section of Urological Research (ESUR).
- 2009: Best European poster personal award by the Association for Prostate Cancer Research (ATRIP).
- 1998: A personal TEMPUS grant in education and training from the trans-European program for cooperation in higher education.