My research is concerned with the treatment and the pathobiology of leukemia with a focus on personalized treatment of patients with leukemia.
Field(s) of expertise
- Longstanding interest in experimental and clinical hemato-oncology, stem cell research, stem cell transplantation
- Treatment development of leukemia
- Molecular Diagnostics of leukemia
- Clinical translation of preclinical leukemia research
- Involvement in phase I-III clinical studies
Education and career
- 1990 - : Professor of Hematology, Department of Hematology, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam
- 1983 - 1986 : Visiting Professor, Free University Brussel
- 1982 - 1990 : Director of Research, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam
- 2000 - 2011 : Chair Cluster Hematology-Oncology, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam
- 1990 - 2011 : Professor of Hematology and Chairman Department of Hematology, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam
- 2013 - 2020 : Editor-in-Chief, Blood, Official Journal of the American Society of Hematology
Published extensively in leading scientific journals (850 publications, 36.000 citations).
- Particpating in research group Molecular Diagnostics; Treatment development in AML.
- Currently involved in "Project: KWF Research Project, project number 12507; title: Advancing NGS-based prediction of relapse in AML in relation to clonal hematopoiesis