About our research group/lab
Our research group
Why was our group formed?
This group contains pioneers in the field of systematic prospective outcome research and value based healthcare related to ENT and facial plastic pathology.
To optimize our care-standards by being fully transparent on overall surgical results and to upgrade patient expectation management to the fullest, supported by evidence based recommendations.
Prospective outcome research.
- Prospective outcome reporting on functional or cleft lip rhinoplasty
- Do human Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Centro Hospitalar Universitário do Porto and Hospital Luz Arrábida, Porto, Portugals perceive averageness as attractive?
- A new treatment for recalcitrant auricular keloid
- What lessons can we learn from dissatisfied patients?
- van Zijl FVWJ, Mokkink LB, Haagsma JA, Datema FR. Evaluation of Measurement Properties of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures After Rhinoplasty: A Systematic Review. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2019. Pubmed link
- van Zijl FVWJ, Versnel S, Poel van der E, Baatenburg de Jong RJ, Datema FR. Use of Routine Prospective Functional and Aesthetic Patient Satisfaction Measurements in Secondary Cleft Lip Rhinoplasty. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2018; [online first]
- Ferreira MG, Santos M, Carmo DOE, Neves JC, Sousa CAE, Datema FR. Rhinoplasty – Do Patients and Surgeons See the Same? A Double-Blind Study with 100 Randomized Patients. Facial Plast Surg. 2018; 34: 356-362. Pubmed link
- Dixon H, Datema FR. A new endoscopic technique to close big nasal septal perforations: prospective evaluation of the double meat hook technique in 19 consecutive cases. Clin Otolaryngol. 2018; 43: 710-14Pubmed link
- Datema FR, Zijl van FVWJ, Poel van der EF, Baatenburg de Jong RJ, Lohuis PJFM. Transparency in functional rhinoplasty: benefits of routine prospective outcome measurements in a tertiary referral center. Plast. Reconstr. Surg 2017; 104: 691-702. Pubmed link
- Van Zijl FVWJ, Timman R, Datema FR. Adaptation and validation of the Dutch version of the nasal obstruction symptom evaluation (NOSE) scale. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2017 Pubmed link
Our collaborations within and outside Erasmus MC:
- Perception Lab – University of St. Andrews – Scotland
- Department of Plastic Surgery – Erasmus MC - The Netherlands
- Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Centro Hospitalar Universitário do Porto and Hospital Luz Arrábida, Porto, Portugal
- Frank R. Datema, MD PhD
- Floris V.W.J. van Zijl, MD