Current research interests and goals: Dr. Sabine Roza is associate professor in Forensic Psychiatry within the Erasmus MC. Her research group is focusing on the various biological, psychological and social factors involved in the predisposition to, onset of, and maintenance of common psychiatric disorders that accompany risk of criminal offending. Predictive and prognostic value of biomarkers of aggression and antisocial behavior, including sensory processing, hormonal levels in hair and (epi)genetic signatures, are studied in clinical samples of forensic psychiatric patients, as well as in adolescents at increased risk for criminal involvement (the iBerry Study).
Other professional activities Dr. Roza is, as forensic psychiatrist, a registered expert witness in criminal legal proceedings with adolescent and adult suspects. She is the acting program director of residency training in forensic psychiatry at the Netherlands Institute of Forensic Psychiatry & Psychology (including the 'Pieter Baan Center').
Furthermore, she is the Medical Director of the Hague Penitentiary Institution, which includes a Psychiatric Penitentiary Center, the Judicial Center of Somatic Care, and the United Nations Detention Unit.
Field(s) of expertise
Education and career
- Erasmus MC Rotterdam, Medicine, Master (drs.) in 2002MD 19-08-2005
- Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences / Harvard School of Public Health, MSc 31-08-2002
- PhD, Erasmus MC Rotterdam, 20-06-2008 (cum laude); 'Prenatal and early postnatal brain development. The Generation R Study' - Residency in psychiatry, Erasmus MC – Psychiatry and BAVO Europoort, graduated 31-03-2012
- Training for expert witness in criminal proceedings, Netherlands Institute of Forensic Psychiatry & Psychology, registered since 01-04-2017
- Dr.ir. J.C.J. Steenweg – de Graaff; 'Prenatal nutrition and early childhood behavior', 17-06-2015
- Dr. A. Sajjad; 'Early Life Determinants, Cognition, and Survival in Population-based Studies', 06-04-2016
Ongoing supervision theses:
- Drs. P. Spaan, expected 2022 Drs.
- F.J.K. van den Boogert, expected 2022
- Drs. P. Michielsen, expected 2023
Dr. Roza is the acting program director of residency training ('opleider') in Forensic Psychiatry at the Netherlands Institute of Forensic Psychiatry & Psychology. Furthermore, she frequently lectures to residents in (Forensic) Psychiatry, students in Medicine, Law and/or Criminology (Erasmus MC and Erasmus University of Rotterdam).
- Medical Director at 'The Hague Penitentiary Institution' (including Psychiatric Penitentiary Center, Judicial Center for Somatic Care and United Nations Detention Unit)
- Editor at the Dutch Journal of Psychiatry
- Chair Revision of Dutch guideline 'Psychiatric assessment and report in criminal legal proceedings'
- Member Revision of Dutch guideline 'Personality Disorders'
Scholarships, grants, and awards
Awards and prices:
- 2002: Jan Molenaar Prize for best presentation and defence of a Young Investigator at the grant applications of the Sophia Foundation for Scientific Research
2008: American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry honorary prize, the Norbert and Charlotte Rieger Award for Scientific.
- 2008: Promovendi Primeur prize for best presentation on a national conference for psychiatrists and psychiatry researchers
- 2009 Coinvestigator European Community’s 7th Framework Programme (FP7/2008-2013) the 'Nutrimenthe project', ‘The effect of diet on the mental performance of children’; Generation R
- 2012 Sophia Foundation for Scientific Research Postdoctoral Fellowship ‘Anger in the Genes: environmental and epigenetic processes in Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)’
- 2013-2016 Grants for ‘The iBerry Study, a high risk cohort study’ (Yulius, BAVO Europoort, GGZ Breburg, GGZ WNB, GGZ Delfland, and Antes)
- 2016 ZonMW Onderzoeksprogramma GGz, startsubsidie voor langlopend onderzoeksproject:’l’Ideale; Lichaamsbeeld en depressie bij adolescenten’
- 2016-2020 Grant from Stichting Vrienden van Oldenkotte: ‘Technological applications for detection, prevention and treatment in forensic psychiatry’
- 2016-2019 Personal grant Forensic Psychiatry from Fivoor / De Kijvelanden
- 2016 Kwaliteit Forensische Zorg, Precall 'Developmental disorders'
- 2016 Landelijke Eenheid Politie, ‘Verwarde dreigers’, i.s.m. politie Rotterdam-Rijnmond