About our department
Pediatric hematologists treat the following patient groups:
- Children with abnormalities of hemostasis (e.g. hemophilia, von Willebrand’s disease, platelet disorders, isolated clotting factor deficiencies) or thrombosis (e.g. venous, arterial).
- Children with hemoglobinopathies (e.g. sickle cell disease, thalassemia) and other chronic hemolytic anemias (e.g. red cell membrane abnormalities, red cell enzyme deficiencies).
- Children with single cell cytopenias, pancytopenia, bone marrow failure syndromes.
- Children undergoing Immunohematology, transfusion medicine and stem cell transplantation medicine.
To improve the diagnostics and treatment of patients with a hematological condition.
Research focus areas
Investigator-initiated research programme:
- Personalized treatment in bleeding disorders and thrombosis.
- Sickle cell disease: identifying prognostic factors for complications and treatment outcome within national 'SCORE' consortium (Sickle Cell Outcome REsearch).
- Platelet disorders: improving diagnosis and management.
We also participate in pharmaceutical drug trials with innovative medication for hemostatic and thrombotic disorders.