Dr C. Heleen van Ommen is pediatric hematologist and head of the Pediatric Hematology/Oncology department. Her research projects focus on pediatric thrombosis and coagulation in pediatric ECMO patients. She is founder and chair of the International Pediatric Thrombosis Network (IPTN) and former co-chair of the Pediatric/Neonatal Hemostasis and Thrombosis SSC of the ISTH. She is member of the SSC Task Force for pediatric anticoagulant drug development, consultant for several Pediatric Investigational Plans (PIPs) for DOACs and member of the Cardiology Expert group and Oncology Expert group of Conect 4 Children.
- NeoClot study: Treatment of neonatal catheter-related thrombosis, a national prospective observational cohort study. In cooperation with neonatologists from all NICUs in the Netherlands.
- CHECKID study: Coagulation monitoring and hemostatic complications in children on ECMO, together with dept Intensive Care and Pediatric Surgery Erasmus MC Sophia.
- ThromPED registry: International Registry of pediatric patients with thrombosis. Part of IPTN. Including registration of DOACs in children.
- Thrombosis in adolescents and young adults, in cooperation with Hematology department, Erasmus MC.
Education and career
- 2015 to date: Pediatric hematologist, Erasmus MC Sophia, Rotterdam.
- 2004 Pediatric Hematologist, Emma Children's Hospital AMC, Amsterdam.
- 2003 Research fellowship in Henderson Research Centre, Hamilton, Canada (Prof. dr. J. Weitz).
- 2002 Pediatric Hematologist-Oncologist, Emma Children’s Hospital AMC, Amsterdam.
- 2000 Pediatrician, Emma Children's Hospital AMC, Amsterdam.
- 1984 - 1991: Study Medicine, Faculty of Medicine; University of Leiden.
- Doctorate: 28th March 2002.
Promotors: Prof. dr. H.R. Büller (Vascular Medicine), Prof. dr. H.S.A. Heijmans (Pediatrics).
Pediatric venous thromboembolic disease: epidemiology, risk factors and outcome.
- Responsible for the traineeship of fellows pediatric hematology, in cooperation with LUMC (Dr F Smiers).
- 2017 to date: Organizing “Keuzeonderwijs To bleed or not to bleed” together with Dr M Kruip, dept. Hematology, nominated for best “keuzeonderwijs” in 2018-2019.
- 2017 to date: Organizing annual national symposium “Update Hemostasis, management of coagulation disorders”; for (pediatric) haematologist, paediatricians, nurses, biochemists.
- Supervision of 4 PhD candidates.
- Founder and chair of International Pediatric Thrombosis Network (IPTN).
- Member NVK “Richtlijnencommissie”- National committee for pediatric guidelines development.
- Member Anticoagulation committee Erasmus MC.