My research work focusses on ‘perinatal psychiatry and offspring development’. I have a special interest in disentangling mechanisms of transmission, improvement of detection and treatment of perinatal psychiatric disorders and the prevention of developmental problems in offspring on a clinical as well population level.
Field(s) of expertise
perinatal psychiatry, transgenerational psychiatry, genetic epidemiology, parent-child interaction and attachment, infant mental health.
Education and career
- Medical degree at the University of Amsterdam (1997)
- Training in Psychiatry at the Department of Psychiatry, Erasmus MC (2004)
- Master in Genetic Epidemiology at the Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences (2005)
- Training in child & adolescent psychiatry at the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Erasmus MC – Sophia (2006)
- PhD degree within the Generation R Study on ‘Parental psychopathology and the early developing child’ (2006)
Publications on PubMed
- Nicole Lucassen, 01-10-2013 Does the father matter? Causes and consequences of parental sensitivity
- Chantal Quispel, 09-09-2014 Psychopathology, Psychosocial problems and Substance use during pregnancy - screening and referral towards care
- Rolieke Cents, 28-09-2016 Like mother, like child? The effect of maternal and child genetic variations on the child’s psychopathology
- Leontien van Ravesteyn, 18-10-2017 The efficacy of daycare treatment of women with psychopathology during pregnancy. A randomized controlled trial
- Nina Molenaar, 21-11-2018 Antidepressants in the perinatal period. Challenging choices in current practice
- Marlies Brouwer, 07-06-2019 Exploring transgenerational approaches to prevent common mental disorders
- Babette Bias, expected 2019 A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of light therapy for depression during pregnancy screening.
- Founder and past chair of the Netherlands Knowledge Center of Perinatal Psychiatry (www.lkpz.nl)
- Founder and member of the board of the mind2care foundation (www.mind2care.nl)
- Member of the board of the Dutch Society for Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynecology (www.wpog.nl)
- Past member of the board of the Section Child and Adolescence Psychiatry of the Dutch Psychiatric Association (www.nvvp.net)
- Past member of the board of the Dutch Association for Infant Mental Health (www.daimh.nl)
- Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynecology.