About our department
We are initiators of the following studies:
- Pre-malignancies: we run multicenter studies on the pre-malignant cervix and HPV (Vaccin; Topic-2 trial), on the pre-malignant endometrium (the EIN study) and Foto Dynamic Therapy on Lichen Sclerosus and Vulvar Intraepithelial Neoplasia.
- Vulva-cancer: we conduct a multicenter-study on recurrent vulvar cancer and the feasibility and safety of a re-sentinel node procedure.
- Ovarian cancer: the PlaComOv study is a placebo-controlled RCT on a new technique for cytoreductive surgery in ovarian cancer. Primary outcome is the percentage of obtained complete surgery. A translational study linked to the PlaComOv study is looking into therapy resistance in ovarian cancer via RECAP tests, ct-DNA and sequencing studies.
- Endometrial cancer: a prospective study on carcinosarcomas of the uterus (CUS) addresses risk factors and quality of life of patients with carcinosarcoma of the uterus. In all cases of endometrial cancer we look into damage repair mechanisms using RECAP tests.
- Genetic gynaecological cancers: we study the Lynch Syndrome and BRCA1 and BRCA2 gynaecological cancers. We participate in several studies initiated by other centers, such as the OVHIPEC-2 study, the GERSOC study for ovarian cancer, the Granulosa study and Fertility Preservation study, the Sparc study on sexuality of women treated with chemoradiation for cervical cancer, and studies in BRCA mutation carriers.
- Dr Heleen van Beekhuizen is principal investigator in the PlaComOv, Vaccin, Topic-2 and CUS studies.
- Dr Lena van Doorn is principal investigator in the V2SLN, EIN and endometrium damage repair studies.
- Premalignant gynaecological abnormalities and HPV.
- New surgical techniques in gynaecological cancer.
- Therapy resistance in ovarian and endometrial cancer.
- Genetic gynaecological cancer.
Evaluation of effectiveness of the PlasmaJet surgical device in the treatment of advanced stage ovarian cancer (PlaComOv-study): study protocol of a randomized controlled trial in the Netherlands.Nieuwenhuyzen-de Boer GM, Hofhuis W, Reesink-Peters N, Ewing-Graham PC, Schoots IG, Beltman JJ, Piek JMJ, Baalbergen A, Kooi GS, van Haaften A, van Huisseling H, Haans L, Dorman M, van Beekhuizen HJ. (2019). BMC Cancer. 2019 Jan 14;19(1):58.
TOPical Imiquimod treatment of residual or recurrent cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (TOPIC-2 trial): a study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Van de Sande AJM, Koeneman MM, Gerestein CG, Kruse AJ, van Kemenade FJ, van Beekhuizen HJ. (2018). BMC Cancer. 2018 Jun 15;18(1):655.
Second Uterine Curettage and the Number of Chemotherapy Courses in Postmolar Gestational Trophoblastic Neoplasia: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Hemida R1, Vos EL, El-Deek B, Arafa M, Toson E, Burger CW, van Doorn HC. (2019). Obstet Gynecol. 2019 May;133(5):1024-1031.
Retrospective study of a 16 year cohort of BRCA1 and BRCA2 carriers presenting for RRSO: Prevalence of invasive and in-situ carcinoma, with follow-up. Blok F, Dasgupta S, Dinjens WNM, Roes EM, van Beekhuizen HJ, Ewing-Graham PC. (2019). Gynecol Oncol. 2019 May;153(2):326-334.
Repeat sentinel lymph node procedure in patients with recurrent vulvar squamous cell carcinoma is feasible. Van Doorn HC, van Beekhuizen HJ, Gaarenstroom KN, van der Velden J, van der Zee AG, Oonk MH. (2016). Gynecol Oncol. 2016;140(3):415-9.
- We collaborate within the Academic Center of Excellence for Gynaecological Tumours of the Erasmus MC.
- We do studies within the Consortium 2.0 of the Dutch Organization of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- Studies are developed and rolled out in the Gynaecological Cancer Network South-West Netherlands.