WHO Collaborating Centre - viral infections
- To cooperate with WHO in its function of alert and response to outbreaks of Emerging and Dangerous Pathogens of international importance, including outbreaks of Arboviruses, Viral Haemorrhagic Fevers and novel and emerging infectious diseases.
- Support WHO in the early diagnosis, rapid identification and characterization of high risk pathogens specimens submitted through WHO, keeping the results confidential, if so required.
- During response operations to outbreaks of Emerging and Dangerous Pathogens coordinated by WHO, to assist with epidemiological surveys carried out under the responsibility of WHO by providing personnel and/or equipment when possible.
- During response operations to outbreaks of Emerging and Dangerous Pathogens coordinated by WHO, to provide onsite laboratory diagnostic support with staff and equipment when possible.
- Provide technical support to the national laboratories involved in epidemiological and laboratory investigations during Emerging Infectious Diseases outbreak responses.
- To inform WHO of any epidemiological or laboratory finding that would be in conjunction with a risk of transmission of a severe disease of international concern : Arboviruses, Viral Haemorrhagic Fevers and novel and emerging infectious diseases.